This section of the website provides details of the current dig and excavation reports relating to previous projects.
Anyone interested in taking part in future work should contact: Excavation manager: ten.kugacnull@snoitavacxe
In 2014 an informal fieldwalk took place at Marygolds, near the Marks Hall Estate, the purpose of which was to find evidence for a reputed Roman Building. The report of the fieldwalk can be seen here:
St John’s Abbey
English Heritage gave permission for an excavation that took place over the summer of 2015, part funded by a grant from the Council for British Archaeology’s Mick Aston Archaeology Fund.
The dig was successfully completed by members of CAG, under the direction of Philip Crummy from Colchester Archaeological Trust.
Photos from the time can be found on the CAG Facebook page. The report has been completed and should be available early in 2017.
Site supervisor is Graham, supported by Tim and Jonathan. Anyone interested in taking part is invited to contact Tim Dennis mailto:ku.ca.xessenull@miT for further details.
Brick Kiln near Wormingford Lodge
A large old brick kiln discovered after being struck by a plough in 1961, was fully excavated by the group in 2011 – 2012.
Possibly 15th century, the design and construction are fully detailed in the CAG report by A J White & R G Marriott.
The groups work at Marks Hall has now been completed. Many thanks to the Marks Hall Trustees who provided facilities.
The excavation is now being analysed and a report and publication on the site will be completed in 2015.One unexpected find was an impressive flint Adze (or Axe head) by Keith. This could be early Neolithic and probably used to work the land, e.g. hoeing, rather than chopping down trees.
If you would like to see some interesting time lapse photography from the site go here:- http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~tim/ARCH/MARKS_HALL/
Cowlins Farm Mount Bures: 2011 excavation of Neolithic Long barrow
Originally identified from Aerial Crop marks, following field walking and a Geophysical survey, an excavation by CAG took place in October and November 2011 to explore further these intriguing features.
New Graffiti uncovered in Colchester Castle.
CAG members were originally involved in a survey running from 2002 to 2005 to record the graffiti found on the walls of Colchester Castle. Reports appeared in Bulletins 42, 43 and 45 as well as in some CAG newsletters. With the closure of the castle for major renovation work in 2013 the opportunity arose to check for more.
The two most impressive pieces of new graffiti were found in the second window niche. On the left hand side a circle contained what appear to be four boats. Nearby are several crosses and other marks and on the opposite side several lines. Another significant feature is a figure standing beneath crossed keys, suggesting this represents St Peter, standing in an arch or doorway with a triangular top. Read the full report here:- Castle Graffiti
Report on the 1928 and 1996 Longinus excavations
In 1928 workmen clearing a building site off Beverley road in Colchester discovered what turned out to be the tombstone of Longinus Sdapeze, a Thracian cavalry officer from the Roman period. This rare stone was found lying face down, broken into several pieces. The curator Rex Hull, arranged for it to be put on prominent display in Colchester Castle Museum, where it was been seen by thousands of visitors over many years, who would have observed the face of Longinus was unfortunately missing. Rex Hull suggested the memorial may have been deliberately vandalised during the Boudiccan revolt of AD 60. In 1996 the Colchester Archaeological Group, led by the late James Fawn, were given the opportunity to re-excavate the site, look for more evidence, the missing face and the course of the road alongside which Roman burials and memorials were erected. This report gives the technical details of the excavations as well as the excitement when the missing piece is found and raced to the Castle to check it matched with the rest of the tombstone.
Authors: John Mallinson, Stephen Benfield, Denise Hardy & Michael J Matthews
Link to PDF download: Longinus-Excavation-1928-1996
For other excavation reports please follow the links below: